Soooo….I present to you:
Decide on a color palette, textural theme and an overall feel.
Example 1: I have invited 2 couples over for a cozy evening in. I want my friends to feel special, warm and comfortable. We’ll eat family-style and talk around the table late into the evening.
- Table runner – my table is either bare, as we have a wooden table, or I use a runner for a pop of somethin’ special
- Chargers- not always, but when there is a planned gathering where I have the luxury of planning a table setting in advance
- Plates- mixed and matched china is my favorite, salad/dessert plates are good to have on hand
- Napkins- nice to have a basic color set and a beautiful patterned set
- Napkin rings
- Silverware- Forks, knives, spoons (one per guest, unless dessert is involved, then a dessert fork would be needed)
- Wine glasses- when the occasion calls for it!
- Serving tray and/or bowls
- Serving utensils- I try to match the silverware here
- Centerpiece- fresh flowers, big chunky candles, antlers, so many options!
- Coasters or hot pads to place food on the table family-style